Program Modifications During COVID-19
Community Action's Leadership Team, in close consultation with the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department, is continuously evaluating the need for operational modifications amid concerns relating to COVID-19. This page summarizes operational updates that have been made so far. Please keep checking this page for further updates.
Community Action is not accepting donations of goods at this time.
Community Action Head Start (UPDATE)
In consultation with local health experts and through review of health and safety requirements, facility provisions, review of data on family needs, and staffing availability, Community Action has developed the following plans to start school year 2020-2021:
- 16 classrooms will be operated, with enrollment opportunities prioritized for returning children and those in need of child care.
- Group size will be limited to 15 children in Head Start classrooms.
- Families will have the opportunity to continue virtual learning services if that is their preference.
- Detailed health and safety procedures will be implemented, and have been on trial throughout the summer through extremely limited program operations at K Street.
- Current plans indicate that centers will be closed and services offered virtually if the city is designated in the red zone on the risk dial or a center must close due to exposure.
- Home-based services will continue to be offered virtually until the risk dial is in the low yellow zone and cases of COVID-19 have continually diminished.
We are continually monitoring the local COVID-19 situation and are prepared to make changes if and when they become necessary. The current plan is supported by both local health experts and data on family needs.
Community Action Administrative Offices (210 O Street in Lincoln and 365 W. 1st Street in Wahoo)
Amid concerns relating to the spread of COVID-19, and to ensure the health and safety of our employees, participants, and partners, Community Action’s lobbies in Lincoln (210 O Street) and Wahoo (365 W. 1st Street) will be closed to the public effective at close of business Friday, March 20, 2020.
Community Action's Store is also closed at this time and will not be accepting donations of goods until further notice.
We will continue to provide services to our participants during this time while implementing additional pre-screening procedures before doing so. Current participants should contact the Community Action employee they’ve been working with directly for assistance. Others, including those requesting emergency assistance with rent and utilities, may contact (402) 471-4515 as usual.
Continue to visit this page and our Facebook page for updates.
Gathering Place (UPDATE)
Effective March 13, 2020 Community Action's Gathering Place will temporarily alter its meal service model to most effectively keep everyone safe and healthy. While we will continue our meal service from 5:00-6:00 PM Monday through Sunday as usual, meals will be provided in to-go boxes only. To-go meals can be picked up at the Gathering Place (1448 E Street in Lincoln).
Check our Facebook page for further updates.
Lincoln Housing Authority's RentWise classes, which are held at Community Action, have been cancelled until further notice. To schedule for upcoming sessions, participants are advised to contact Lincoln Housing Authority. As the community is updated regarding both local and CDC recommendations, plans for future RentWise sessions will be confirmed.