Financial and Family Well-Being

ITIN Application Assistance

Individuals who do not qualify to receive a Social Security number are required by the Internal Revenue Service to have an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) to file their taxes. As a Certifying Acceptance Agent for ITIN applications, we can review the original identifying documents (such as passports, birth certificates, and photo IDs) necessary to complete this process, and submit copies to the IRS. Individuals keep the originals, rather than mailing them to the IRS.

In the 2015 Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, Congress required the IRS to expire ITINs issued before 2013, as well as ITINs not currently used on tax returns. A group of ITINs will expire on December 31 each year. For example, all ITINs not used on a 2017, 2018, or 2019 tax return will expire December 31, 2020. These ITINs must be renewed before they can be used on a tax return in 2021. All ITINs issued prior to 2013 have now been expired by the IRS. These expired ITINs can now be renewed if they have not already.

Individuals wishing to obtain or renew an ITIN must bring to Community Action the following required original documents, or copies that are certified by the issuing agency:

For the taxpayer and their spouse:

  • Valid passport

If taxpayer and spouse do not have a valid passport, two of the following:

  • Birth certificate
  • Military identification card
  • Current national identification card
  • Voter registration card issued abroad

For dependents:

  • Valid passport (with entry stamp)

If dependents do not have a valid passport, a birth certificate and one of the following is required:

  • Military ID card
  • Current national identification card
  • Voter registration card issued abroad
  • Medical files (for children age 6 years or younger)
  • School records (valid only for dependents younger than 14 years or students younger than 18 years)

Also required: Documents proving US residence, such as school records (same requirements as above), medical records (same requirements as above), lease, or utility bill.

For questions about this service, contact:
Andrew Ritta
Financial Well-Being Administrator
(402) 875-9351